Sergeants Mess is a wedding venue in Georges Heights that offers breathtaking views of the harbour. For this reason it is a popular venuue for marrying couples.
If you’re shortlisting places to get married in Sydney, you’ll want to keep on scrolling to see if Sergeants Mess is the right place for you.
For those of you who are time-poor, here are a few reasons why Sergeants Mess is perfect for you:
- Sergeants Mess has its own exclusive-use ceremony location that is open yet intimate (read: nice and private).
- The stepped seating of the mini amphitheatre allows your family and friends to get a great view of the ceremony and the amazing backdrop.
- The service from the venue staff is prompt and impeccable.
- Your wedding day photography options are stunning.
Recommended for you: My ultimate guide to the best Sydney harbour wedding venues
About The Venue
Can we have our wedding ceremony here?
There is an exclusive nuptials ceremony location onsite on the lower level at Sergeants Mess. The Sergeant Major’s Room and adjoining lounge area on the bottom level can also serve as a wet weather option (or tea ceremony location).
What is the address of Sergeants Mess?
Chowder Bay Road, Mosman NSW 2088 (click for directions).
Sergeants Mess is located around a 20 minute drive from CBD of Sydney in New South Wales. It can be accessed via car, public transport. water taxi or private/chartered ferry (via private wharf at Chowder Bay).
How many guests can we have at Sergeants Mess?
Up to 250 guests (sit-down) or up to 350 guests (cocktail setting)
How much does a wedding at Sergeants Mess cost?
You have two exclusive offerings for a Sergeants Mess wedding reception; formal dining or cocktail style.
For full package details and inclusions, it is best to enquire with the venue manager for full details and personalisation options.
Is there parking on site?
There is complimentary guest parking at middle head (and shuttle buses that bring the guests down to the wedding venue). For guests who want to park closer to Sergeants Mess, there is paid parking along Chowder Bay Road itself (maximum of $20 per day on weekends).
Sergeants Mess Wedding Photos
Why I Recommend Sergeants Mess Weddings
I have always loved photographing weddings at Sergeants Mess. I think it has one of the best waterfront locations in all of Sydney.
The wedding ceremony location is spectacular from a photographic point of view. The little amphitheatre means I can capture the special moments whilst incorporating the view of the harbour. It is also an easy space to move around in, allowing me to move and capture moments without interruption.
There are a number of wonderful bridal photo locations. For example, we can head down towards Chowder Bay, over to Middle Head, Balmoral Beach or even a little further afield to Bradley’s Head. I personally love photographing sunset at Georges Heights Lookout, which is just at the top of the hill and means less time away from your wedding guests.
The reception room at Sergeants mess is big enough for any sized wedding. It makes it super easy for couples to make their way around the room (and tables) to interact with guests. It also allows for a big live band, DJ and a dance floor for when the party kicks off.
PS – I love a lively dance floor where there is enough space for everyone to bust a move.
The long balcony that runs a long the venue also gives a space for your guests to enjoy harbour views by night and still be part of the party.
How To Get The Most Out Of Your Wedding Here
- The late afternoon is absolutely incredible on Sydney harbour. When planning the timings for your wedding day, make sure you include some time where you get to enjoy time with your guests on the balcony, taking in the breathtaking harbour views before the formalities start.
- The best time of the day for wedding photography is as the sun starts to set. Sergeants Mess is tucked away on the lower side of a hill, so it’s best to plan to head up to Georges Heights lookout for sunset to make the most of the last light of the day.
- Are you planning on having your wedding ceremony further away from the area? Consider arranging a ferry to pick yourselves and your wedding guests up after the ceremony to take you to Sergeants Mess. It’s a wonderful way to enjoy some quality time mingling with your wedding guests. The last couple of weddings that have done this have done a tour of the harbour, taking in beautiful locations around the harbour like Lavender Bay, Cockatoo Island, Rose Bay, Watsons Bay, Camp Cove and Bradley’s Head.
- One of the best parts about wedding planning is the menu tasting! Sergeants Mess boasts a world class dining experience and you would be remiss not to make the most of this. Why not go with family, or your bridal party and enjoy this experience together? It can be a great way to show off the location as well as enjoy some quality time with those important people involved in your wedding day. See if you can arrange a time that is similar to your wedding ceremony so that you can get a gauge of how the light strikes the venue.
- A farewell on your wedding day can be an exciting way to finish off what is a momentous occasion. A sparkler exit along the water to waiting water taxi can be the perfect way to wrap things up.
Similar Locations You May Also Want to Consider
Sergeants Mess is managed by Grand Pacific Group. Did you know that they also have two nearby purpose-built wedding venues nearby? If you want the relaxed vibe of a Sydney harbour wedding venue, click through to my reviews of Gunners Barracks and Ripples Chowder Bay.
Hi, I’m Jack Of Jack Chauvel Photography
If you are thinking of having a Sergeants Mess wedding I would love to be involved. Get in touch to find out how I can make your special day even more special.