Gunners Barracks is a historical Mosman wedding venue that offers harbour views overlooking the iconic Sydney harbour. Originally excavated into the cliff side and linked by tunnels to nearby Middle Head fortifications, this Mosman venue found at the end of Suakin Drive attracts many couples both local and internationally.
Booking in your reception venue will be one of your biggest decisions that you will make. For this reason, I have put together review to help you decide whether of not this venue is right for you.
Recommended for you: A list of Sydney Harbour wedding venues to consider
What kind of style does this venue suit?
The beautiful features of the venue means that it is suited to weddings of all styles. From black tie formal events to intimate weddings and elopements. You can add as much or as little styling as you want to the spaces.
What is the address?
End of Suakin Drive, Georges Heights, Mosman NSW, Australia (click for directions).
How many guests can we have?
Up to 130 guests (sit-down) or up to 180 guests (cocktail)
Is there a wet weather option at this venue?
If the weather looks to be wet, the harbour terrace is the onsite wet weather option.
Is there parking on site?
Yes, there is plenty of complimentary parking available close to the venue. There is also disabled parking available.
Gunners Barracks Wedding Photos
Why I Recommend Gunners Barracks Weddings
Having worked across many venues over the years, I always enjoy returning to a venue that takes great pride in what they do.
You’ll like to hear that the Grand Pacific Group team genuinely looks after their couples and their guests to create a memorable experience for them. For me, knowing that my clients will be well looked after means that I can focus on capturing them having the time of their lives.
If the harbour views don’t sell you alone then the rest of the venue definitely will.
I love that it is an exclusive venue, which means you have the whole location to yourselves. Not all Sydney wedding venues offer this!
The historic sandstone courtyard is a wonderful spot for a civil or religious nuptial ceremony. During the evening this space can also turn into a place for your guests to mingle or even the dance floor (under the fairy lights overhead). You also have the drawing room, harbour terrace and the main dining room at your disposal throughout the day and night.
I like the intimate size of the space which means when I am photographing the wedding day, it’s easy for me to capture candid moments of all the guests enjoying themselves. It makes it easy for your guests to enjoy the festivities in the space they feel most comfortable.
The photo locations on-sites and nearby in Mosman and Georges Heights are also spectacular.
Being set into the cliff, it means it is surrounded by beautiful bushland.
The Georges Heights lookout is fantastic at sunset, and close by there is also Middle Head and Chowder bay to explore for photos.
What this means for you is that the bulk of your wedding day is all centralised in one area which minimises logistic delays and complications.
How To Get The Most Out Of Your Wedding Day
- The best time of the day for bridal portraits is as the sun starts to set (an hour before sunset). I always love to help out in the wedding planning stage to make sure we can make the most out of the light for your photos. As we venture out for your bridal portraits, your wedding guests can enjoy views of Sydney Harbour. It’s a win-win situation for all.
- During the cooler months (May-July) the sun sets much earlier. With the evening ceremony time starting after 4pm; consider having an earlier ceremony offsite so that you can make the most of your special day.
- One of the best parts about wedding planning is the menu tasting! Why not make an occasion of this and go with your bridal party to enjoy the venue before the day. It is also a great way to experience the tradition of excellence in service which the venue offers.
- Make sure you factor in some times to mingle with your guests at enjoy those views of Sydney Harbour (perhaps during canapés). It’s all too easy to miss out on this quality time on your own big day.
- exclusive hire of the entire Mosman venue
- location in Georges Heights ensures privacy
- fantastic and unobstructed views of the harbour
- unparalleled service from venue staff
Similar Locations You Might Also Want to Consider
You’re probably here because you’re still in the decision phase of choosing your wedding venue. If you love the harbour and the vibe it offers, and have similar guest numbers (130 guests), you may want to check out my review of Ripples Chowder Bay (Mosman) and of Sergeants Mess (Mosman).
Hi, I’m Jack Of Jack Chauvel Photography
I have enjoyed photographing weddings at Gunners Barracks many times now. I adore the space so much that I have even taken my mum there for high-tea! Once you have locked in your wedding venue,I would love to be involved.
Actual Wedding Gallery: Alexander & Stacey’s big day at Gunners Barracks